Definition of Linnaean
1. Adjective. Of or relating to Linnaeus or to the system of taxonomic classification that Linnaeus proposed.
Definition of Linnaean
1. Adjective. Of, or relating to Carolus Linnaeus, Swedish naturalist, either personally (i.e. "a Linnaean name") or in a wider sense, of the era influenced by him ¹
2. Adjective. Of, or relating to the binomial nomenclature originated by him ¹
3. Adjective. (''recent'') Relating to the nomenclature ''Codes'' that have their starting point in a work by Linnaeus or are derived from such a ''Code''. This includes the idea of a ranked taxonomy, which of course was not initiated by Linnaeus. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Linnaean
Literary usage of Linnaean
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Biology and Its Makers by William Albert Locy (1908)
"Moreover, the true object of investigation was obscured by the linnaean system. ... The first modification of importance to the linnaean system was that of ..."
2. The Copepodologist's Cabinet: A Biographical and Bibliographical History by David M. Damkaer (2002)
"None of these four linnaean students has a cope- pod connection, but copepods will be seen in the work of Linnaeus's student Fabricius. ..."
3. The Quarterly Review by William Gifford, John Taylor Coleridge, John Gibson Lockhart, Whitwell Elwin, William Macpherson, William Smith, John Murray, George Walter Prothero, Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle (1818)
"A CONTROVERSY between a President of the linnaean So- -^~*- ciety and a Regius Greek Professor is an occurrence of some importance in the transactions of ..."
4. Flora Cestrica: An Herborizing Companion for the Young Botanists of Chester by William Darlington (1853)
"... linnaean ARRANGEMENT 01 THE GENERA TREATED OF IN THIS WORK. ... or those accustomed to the linnaean ..."
5. Synoptical Flora of North America: The Gamopetalae, Being a Second Edition by Asa Gray (1888)
"... which continues the principal linnaean specific name, i be preferred. Conyza Carolinensis, Jacq., is Pluchea odorata, wrongly attributed to Carolina. ..."
6. London by Charles Knight (1851)
"Here is the linnaean in Soho Square, held in the house bequeathed to it by Sir Joseph Banks, and in which Sir Joseph himself resided. ..."