Definition of Hokan
1. Noun. A family of Amerindian languages spoken in California.
Generic synonyms: American Indian, American-indian Language, Amerind, Amerindian Language, Indian
Specialized synonyms: Chimariko, Esselen, Kulanapan, Quoratean, Shastan, Yuman, Yanan
2. Noun. A member of a North American Indian people speaking one of the Hokan languages.
Generic synonyms: American Indian, Indian, Red Indian
Specialized synonyms: Achomawi, Akwa'ala, Atsugewi, Chimariko, Cochimi, Cocopa, Cocopah, Diegueno, Esselen, Halchidhoma, Havasupai, Kamia, Karok, Kiliwa, Kiliwi, Maricopa, Mohave, Mojave, Pomo, Shasta, Hualapai, Hualpai, Walapai, Yahi, Yana, Yavapai, Yuma
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hokan
Literary usage of Hokan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Engineering Index Annual for by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1914)
"... .hokan Reservoir trated description of the works, with historical details and explanation of the operation and other information. 4000 w. ..."
2. The American Year Book: A Record of Events and Progress by Francis Graham Wickware, (, Albert Bushnell Hart, (, Simon Newton Dexter North, William M. Schuyler (1918)
"Harrington had previously announced the genetic relationship of Chumash and Yuman, a typical hokan group of dialects. Thus the linking of Washo with ..."
3. History of Corea, Ancient and Modern: With Description of Manners and by John Ross (1891)
"hokan sent one of his officers to lead home the fugitives, but, while on the way, Kwei pounced upon and defeated him, again sacked ..."
4. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1922)
"Penutian J Oregon Penutian [ Tsimshian f Yuki hokan V. hokan-Siouan - VI. Artec-Tanoan t Coahuiltecan group Keres Tunica group Siouan-Yuchi-Musko- ..."