Definition of Hizballah
1. Noun. A Shiite terrorist organization with strong ties to Iran; seeks to create an Iranian fundamentalist Islamic state in Lebanon; car bombs are the signature weapon.
Category relationships: Act Of Terrorism, Terrorism, Terrorist Act
Generic synonyms: Foreign Terrorist Organization, Fto, Terrorist Group, Terrorist Organization
Geographical relationships: Lebanese Republic, Lebanon
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hizballah
Literary usage of Hizballah
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Civilian Pawns: Laws of War Violations and the Use of Weapons on the Israel by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch/Middle East, Arms Project (Human Rights Watch) (1996)
"It will not only be hizballah, ... and apparently in response, a senior hizballah official was quoted the next day as warning Israel "against committing any ..."
2. Terrorist Group Profiles (1993)
"Background The hizballah is a political, social, and military ... The hizballah espouses an intense hatred of any influence that does not support its views ..."
3. Patterns of Global Terrorism 1993 by DIANE Publishing Company (1994)
"Fundamentalists, including Turkish hizballah groups, issued death threats to ... The Lebanese hizballah, Iran's most important client, was responsible for ..."
4. Wake Up the Lord Is Returning by Alf Droy (2002)
"The Force seems to have sided first with the PLO and then with hizballah. ... On Israel's unilateral withdrawal in 2000, hizballah filled the vacuum ..."
5. Patterns of Global Terrorism, (1995) by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"There is credible evidence that hizballah continues its surveillance of Americans; ... hizballah has yet to be disarmed, but Beirut is making efforts to ..."
6. Report of the Congressional Committees Investigating the Iran/Contra Affair by Lee H. Hamilton, Daniel K. Inouye (1995)
"On February 8, the Southern Lebanon Army was to release 25 hizballah prisoners after Iran received the first 1000 TOWs. On February 9, "all US Hostages ..."