Definition of Gulf states
1. Noun. A region of the United States comprising states bordering the Gulf of Mexico; Alabama and Florida and Louisiana and Mississippi and Texas.
Group relationships: South
Terms within: Al, Alabama, Camellia State, Heart Of Dixie, Everglade State, Fl, Florida, Sunshine State, La, Louisiana, Pelican State, Magnolia State, Mississippi, Ms, Lone-star State, Texas, Tx
2. Noun. The countries in southwestern Asia that border the Persian Gulf.
Terms within: Bahrain, Bahrein, State Of Bahrain, Iran, Islamic Republic Of Iran, Persia, Al-iraq, Irak, Iraq, Republic Of Iraq, Koweit, Kuwait, State Of Kuwait, Muscat And Oman, Oman, Sultanate Of Oman, Katar, Qatar, State Of Katar, State Of Qatar, Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gulf States
Literary usage of Gulf states
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of Domestic and Foreign Commerce of the United States by Emory Richard Johnson, Thurman William Van Metre, Grover Gerhardt Huebner, David Scott Hanchet (1922)
"In the South Atlantic and gulf states the oyster industry commenced much later than in the New York, New Jersey, and the Chesapeake districts, but its rapid ..."
2. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"In Mississippi we meet with all the different animals that are found in the gulf states. There are about forty different species of mammalia in the state. ..."
3. The Rebellion Record: A Diary of American Events by Frank Moore, Edward Everett (1861)
"... at least five-sixths have been levied by indirect taxation from the North and North-West, have been expended in and for the gulf states in this century. ..."
4. Library Journal by Richard Rogers Bowker, Charles Ammi Cutter, American Library Association, Library Association (1899)
"Libraries in the gulf states CONTENTS. " AUTHOR. Considerations as to a printed catalog in book form for l How to encourage the foundation of libraries in ..."
5. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1916)
"... the seed minutely cross-wrinkled. Native of Afr., early intro. into the W. Indies and Trop. Amer. —Cult, for forage in the gulf states. ..."
6. The History of North America by Guy Carleton Lee, Francis Newton Thorpe (1903)
"CHAPTER III THE INDIANS OF FLORIDA AND THE EASTERN gulf states As WE have travelled northward on the western slope to the limit of native population brought ..."
7. The Addresses and Journal of Proceedings of the National Educational Association by National Educational Association (U.S.) (1873)
"Alabama is but a type of the other gulf states, and she alone is capable of manufacturing every article needed for husbandry, and at the same time producing ..."