Definition of Genus eptesicus
1. Noun. A genus of Vespertilionidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Vespertilionidae, Vespertilionidae
Member holonyms: Big Brown Bat, Eptesicus Fuscus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Eptesicus
Literary usage of Genus eptesicus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Mammals of Pennsylvania and New Jersey: A Biographic, Historic and by Samuel Nicholson Rhoads (1903)
"It is interesting to note that Rafinesque, in describing the genus Eptesicus, says, "The name means house flyer ;" and of the species melanops he says, ..."
2. East African Mammals in the United States National Museum by Ned Hollister (1918)
"Genus EPTESICUS Rafinesque. 1820. Eptesicus RAFINESQUE, Ann. Nat., vol. 1, p. 2. (E.fuscus.) All the smaller bats of this genus that have definitely been ..."
3. The Mammals of Colorado: An Account of the Several Species Found Within the by Edward Royal Warren (1910)
"He records it from Grand Junction and I have taken it at Bedrock, on the Dolores River in Montrose County, 5150 feet. Genus EPTESICUS Eptesicus Rafinesque, ..."
4. The Families and Genera of Bats by Gerrit Smith Miller (1907)
"... of normal form the fifth finger exceeds the combined length of metacarpal and first phalanx of fourth or third digit. Genus EPTESICUS Rafinesque. 1820. ..."
5. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1901)
"The placing of this in the genus Eptesicus is in accordance with Lajos. * Measurements: MM Forearm 42.2 Tibia 15.5 Ear 15 Width of ear (flattened) 9.5 ..."
6. California Mammals by Frank Stephens (1906)
"genus eptesicus RAFINESQUE. (House flier.) Skull large and heavily built; size rather large; ears rather short and narrow; tragus rather short, narrow, ..."