Definition of Genus Actias
1. Noun. Luna moths.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Saturniidae, Saturniidae
Member holonyms: Actias Luna, Luna Moth
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Actias
Literary usage of Genus Actias
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1887)
"... of a former Arctic, circumpolar fauna, the more so as it is seen to be absent south of the equator in the New World. Leach's genus Actias is older than ..."
2. The Popular Science Monthly (1885)
"While the genus Actias, for instance, is known by its thinly scaled, pale-green wings, the hind pair furnished with twisted " tails," our species luna, ..."
3. The Popular Science Monthly by Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) (1885)
"While the genus Actias, for instance, is known by its thinly scaled, pale-green wings, the hind pair furnished with twisted "tails," our species luna ..."
4. The Annals and Magazine of Natural History by Taylor and Francis, William Jardine (1847)
"... likely to be wanting in the intermediate country of India. [To be continued.] XI.—Description of a new species of the genus Actias of ..."
5. The Moth Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Moths of North America by William Jacob Holland (1903)
"Genus ACTIAS Leach The species of this genus may easily be discriminated by their pale green color, and the tailed hind wings. ..."