Definition of Genus Acheta
1. Noun. Common house and field crickets.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Gryllidae, Gryllidae
Member holonyms: Acheta Domestica, European House Cricket, Acheta Assimilis, Field Cricket
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Acheta
Literary usage of Genus Acheta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Introduction to entomology: Comprehending a General View of the by James Duncan (1840)
"The two former are referred to the genus ACHETA, which, besides them, comprehends two other British species. The history of the domestic cricket has been so ..."
2. A History of the Fossil Insects in the Secondary Rocks of England by Peter Bellinger Brodie (1845)
"... and attached Elytra of Coleoptera; the other is a very fine and perfect specimen belonging to the genus Acheta, one of the Cricket tribe (pl. ii. fig. ..."
3. Matheran Hill: Its People, Plants and Animals by John Young Smith (1871)
"The genus Acheta is represented by several species, and among commoner kinds will probably be found the grotesque-looking Acheta monstrosa of the Deccan. ..."
4. Genera crustaceorum et insectorum secundum ordinem naturalem in familias by Pierre-André Latreille (1807)
"... vendi modo a praecedentibus diversa; flores enim, plantas frequentant ; an proprium genus ? Acheta italica, Fabricii; gryllus pellucens Panzeri, Faun. ..."