Definition of First-year
1. Adjective. Used of a person in the first year of an experience (especially in United States high school or college). "Freshman year in high school or college"
Geographical relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Similar to: First
Lexicographical Neighbors of First-year
Literary usage of First-year
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"Not till the first year of Queen Elizabeth was it enacted that the former should be the rule. In certain part'>ular instances the matter was still fur- ..."
2. Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature (1907)
"Post-office savings banks were opened in India on 1st April, 1882 ; during the first year the deposits reached a total of ..."
3. Library Journal by American Library Association, Library Association (1896)
"Accession Work: New York State School, three per cent, in the first year; Armour Institute, two per cent, in the first year; Drexel Institute, four per cent ..."
4. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1922)
"The average annual production for these birds in the first year of both the ... These are 153.19 eggs for the first year at Storrs, 174.05 eggs for the ..."