Definition of Empire state
1. Noun. A Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies.
Geographical relationships: Battle Of Saratoga, Saratoga
Terms within: Cornell University, Tappan Zee Bridge, Bedloe's Island, Liberty Island, New Netherland, Albany, Capital Of New York, Buffalo, Cooperstown, Erie Canal, Greater New York, New York, New York City, Ithaca, West Point, Long Island, Binghamton, Kingston, Newburgh, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Schenectady, Syracuse, Utica, Saratoga Springs, Watertown, Adirondack Mountains, Adirondacks, Allegheny, Allegheny River, American Falls, Catskill Mountains, Catskills, Delaware, Delaware River, Hudson, Hudson River, Champlain, Lake Champlain, Mohawk River, Niagara, Niagara Falls, Susquehanna, Susquehanna River, Taconic Mountains
Generic synonyms: American State
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa, Mid-atlantic States
Definition of Empire state
1. Proper noun. (non-gloss definition Nickname for the U.S. state of New York.) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Empire State
Literary usage of Empire state
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An American Glossary by Richard Hopwood Thornton (1912)
"empire state, The—contd. 1842 The seal of the empire State will not have such a wonderful effect as [Mr. Wright] seems to imagine. ..."
2. The World's Famous Orations. by Francis Whiting Halsey, William Jennings Bryan (1906)
"These highways are their monuments; this land of Ga-nun-no, this empire state, is our monument. We wish to lay our bones under its soil, among those of our ..."
3. Society, Manners and Politics in the United States: Being a Series of by Michel Chevalier (1839)
"THE empire state. ALBANY, SEPTEMBER 11, 1835. IT has been already shown (Letter X.), that there are in the United States two strongly marked types, ..."
4. The Arena by Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) (1908)
"In the empire state, however, it was not until this year that the first bill was introduced. It is too much to expect its enactment at this session. ..."
5. Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review by William B. Dana (1855)
"This steamer is intended for the Fall River route, and will run in connection with the Bay State and empire state. Her engine, which is to be put in by the ..."
6. Industrial Arts Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1914)
"empire state gas and electric association Elec W 62:729-30 О 11 '13 Employees 9th annual convention, New York, Oct., 1913. Engineering and the amenities: ..."
7. A General History of Rome from the Foundation of the City to the Fall of by Charles Merivale (1875)
"... East—Final division of the empire—State of religion aud progress of Christianity at Rome—Contest for the bishopric of Rome—Triumph of Damasus—Succession ..."
8. The Magazine of American History with Notes and Queries by John Austin Stevens, Benjamin Franklin DeCosta, Martha Joanna Lamb, Henry Phelps Johnston, Nathan Gilbert Pond, William Abbatt (1879)
"Ill JANUARY 1879 No. i BIRTH OF THE empire state FORMATION OF THE FIRST CONSTITUTION OF NEW YORK 1777 ON the loth May 1776, the Continental Congress adopted ..."