Definition of Dermochelys coriacea
1. Noun. Wide-ranging marine turtle with flexible leathery carapace; largest living turtle.
Generic synonyms: Marine Turtle, Sea Turtle
Group relationships: Dermochelys, Genus Dermochelys
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dermochelys Coriacea
Literary usage of Dermochelys coriacea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Water Reptiles of the Past and Present by Samuel Wendell Williston (1914)
"LEATHER-BACK MARINE TURTLES The most remarkable member of the Chelonia now living is dermochelys coriacea (Fig. 128), the great leathery or ..."
2. Vertebrate Zoölogy by Horatio Hackett Newman (1920)
"E The sole living representative of this sub-order is dermochelys coriacea, the Leather-back Turtle (Fig. 133, A). Instead of the usual closely-knit ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1909)
"To the fish and reptile gallery the leathery turtle (dermochelys coriacea), taken at Pwll- heli last summer, has been added. It was impossible to preserve ..."
4. Liberia by Harry Hamilton Johnston, Otto Stapf (1906)
"The leathery turtle (dermochelys coriacea), which is so distinct from other turtles or tortoises as to be included within a separate ..."
5. Costa Rica by Bruce Conord (2006)
"... (Catena caretta) and baula, or leatherback, turtles (dermochelys coriacea). T? iii The Gandoca section is accessed from the road to Sixaola. ..."