Definition of Dermochelys
1. Noun. Type genus of the Dermochelyidae: leatherback turtles.
Generic synonyms: Reptile Genus
Group relationships: Dermochelyidae, Family Dermochelyidae
Member holonyms: Dermochelys Coriacea, Leatherback, Leatherback Turtle, Leathery Turtle
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dermochelys
Literary usage of Dermochelys
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th Series by California academy of sciences (1906)
"3 Issued December 2, 190$ ON THE OCCURRENCE OF THE LEATHER-BACK TURTLE, dermochelys, ON THE COAST OF CALIFORNIA BY JOHN VAN DENBURGH Curator of the ..."
2. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1905)
"The significance of the armor of dermochelys is found in the fact that it ... An examination of the dermal armor of dermochelys shows that there are on the ..."
3. The Reptiles of Western North America: An Account of the Species Known to by John van Denburgh (1922)
"The limbs are paddle-shaped, without claws ; the anterior limbs are very long. 232. dermochelys schlegelii (Carman) PACIFIC LEATHER-BACK TURTLE Plate 128 ..."
4. Text-book of Paleontology by Karl Alfred von Zittel (1902)
"Skull shorter, thicker, and relatively larger than in dermochelys; shell completely tessellated, sculptured ; scutes of the larger longitudinal row of the ..."
5. A Manual of Zoology by Richard Hertwig (1912)
"condition of the quadrate, the lack of an os transversum and of any but basi- sphenoid of the sphenoidal bones (dermochelys has a parasphenoid), ..."
6. Water Reptiles of the Past and Present by Samuel Wendell Williston (1914)
"Baur's contention that "dermochelys is not the least, but the most specialized marine turtle" seems to have been fully justified. RIVER TURTLES. ..."