Definition of Colourful
1. Adjective. Striking in variety and interest. "Colorful language"
Similar to: Brave, Braw, Gay, Flashy, Gaudy, Jazzy, Showy, Sporty, Many-sided, Noisy, Picturesque
Antonyms: Colorless, Colourless
2. Adjective. Having striking color. "Colorful autumn leaves"
Attributes: Color, Colour, Vividness
Similar to: Ablaze, Bright, Brilliant, Vivid, Changeable, Chatoyant, Iridescent, Shot, Deep, Rich, Fluorescent, Prismatic, Psychedelic, Shrill, Vibrant
Definition of Colourful
1. Adjective. Possessing prominent and varied colours. ¹
2. Adjective. Interesting, multifaceted, energetic, distinctive. ¹
3. Adjective. (euphemistic) Profane, obscene, offensive (usually in the phrase ''colourful language''). ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Colourful
Literary usage of Colourful
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Jack London and Hawaii by Charmian London (1918)
"And yet, some one in my small family of two, it would seem, must chronicle the details of its colourful existence. ..."
2. A Hedonist's Guide to Madrid by Beverley Fearis (2004)
"colourful, contemporary works of art decorate the walls and, along with cheerful staff, make visiting La Timba a truly pleasant expenence. ..."
3. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia by Bernard Joliat, Sonia Vian (2003)
"Vietnam's markets are picturesque, varied and colourful. initially used as a protective varnish for wood. The basic lacquer colours of red, black and brown ..."
4. Catalogue by Dulau & Co., ltd., Booksellers, London, N.W. Lott & H.J. Gerrish Ltd (1845)
"Two very colourful river scenes, shewing races in progress. ... A very colourful Scene .. .. 2/6 VENICE. A Group of i6th Century Venetians, with gondola ..."
5. The Practical Book of Interior Decoration by Harold Donaldson Eberlein, Edward Stratton Holloway, Abbot MacClure (1919)
"If neutral they are perfectly correct, and so if they are colourful, provided they are not restless ... If there is a large couch its cover may be colourful ..."
6. Capital (1888)
"NGEF with a colourful plume in all these activities occupies a pride of place In the Indian electrical industry. Range of manufacture: *• -^ Distribution ..."
7. Natural Emirates: Wildlife and Environment of the United Arab Emirates by Peter Vine (1996)
"Distinctive and colourful with high forehead and lunate caudal fin with blue ... Another colourful resident of the inshore reefs which can often be seen ..."