Definition of Capital of the united states
1. Noun. The capital of the United States in the District of Columbia and a tourist mecca; George Washington commissioned Charles L'Enfant to lay out the city in 1791.
Terms within: Capitol, Capitol Building, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, Capitol Hill, The Hill, Georgetown
Generic synonyms: National Capital
Group relationships: D.c., Dc, District Of Columbia
Specialized synonyms: Potomac
Derivative terms: Washingtonian
Lexicographical Neighbors of Capital Of The United States
Literary usage of Capital of the united states
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The United States; Its Power and Progress by Guillaume Tell Poussin (1851)
"... of Congress, and -the capital of the United States — Recapitulation of the historical summary of the English colonies—The principle of independence as ..."
2. The Historical Register of the United States by Thomas H. Palmer (1814)
"It we suppose the bank capital of Massachusetts to be one-sixth of the whole banking capital of the United States, and that the other banks circulated notes ..."
3. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"Washington, District of Columbia, the capital of the United States, is situated on the left bank of the Potomac River, 108 miles from its mouth in ..."
4. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1887)
"... and almost the only supply of pure water for the capital of the United States, which will flow by its own weight and without the cost of pumping, ..."
5. Abridgment of the Debates of Congress, from 1789 to 1856: From Gales and by United States Congress, Thomas Hart Benton (1857)
"... of seven millions of dollars from the active capital of the United States, and transmitting it to Europe, where that portion of the bank stock is owned. ..."