Definition of Calif.
1. Noun. A state in the western United States on the Pacific; the 3rd largest state; known for earthquakes.
Geographical relationships: Achomawi
Group relationships: Southwest, Southwestern United States, America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Terms within: Channel Islands National Park, Kings Canyon National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Redwood National Park, Sequoia National Park, Yosemite National Park, Anaheim, Bakersfield, Barstow, Berkeley, Beverly Hills, Chula Vista, Eureka, Fresno, Long Beach, City Of The Angels, Los Angeles, Monterey, Oakland, Palo Alto, Pasadena, Redding, Riverside, Capital Of California, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, San Mateo, San Pablo, Santa Ana, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, Silicon Valley, Colorado Desert, Death Valley, Mohave, Mohave Desert, Mojave, Mojave Desert, Lake Tahoe, Donner Pass, Golden Gate, Klamath, Klamath River, Monterey Bay, Russian River, Sacramento River, Salton Sea, San Andreas Fault, San Fernando Valley, San Joaquin River, San Joaquin Valley, Mount Shasta, Shasta, High Sierra, Sierra Nevada, Sierra Nevada Mountains
Generic synonyms: American State
Derivative terms: Californian
Definition of Calif.
1. Abbreviation. California ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Calif.
Literary usage of Calif.
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Bar by James Clark Fifield (1918)
"Univ. of calif., AB, 1878; legal ed. Hastings College of Law, LL. ... San Francisco, and calif. State Bar Ass'ns. Firm is counsel for: Mission Savings Bank. ..."
2. Yearbook by American Psychological Association (1892)
"Stratton, GM, Univ. of calif. Tolman, EC, Univ. of calif. Beverly Hills. ... Bridgman, OL, Univ. of calif. Kohs, SC, Eureka Benevolent Society. ..."
3. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1900)
"calif., In the higher mountains. AA. Erect shrubs; Ivs. usually 1-1 in. long : fls. in ... S. Мех. BR 31: 32. BM 3004 as A. nítida.—Л. Calif Arnica, Hort. ..."
4. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company, Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept (1914)
"Also leaves and luncheon ma's. Do not buy until you hare seen theie. ACCEPT A'O SUK±T/TVT£. Th«« Pads For Sale By: Brown Furniture Co. - - Alameda. calif. ..."
5. Synoptical Flora of North America: The Gamopetalae, Being a Second Edition by Asa Gray (1888)
"Calif, i. 320. # Heads pretty large and broad, disposed to be solitary, ... calif. 1. c. - Coast of California, from Bodegas (where it was first coll. by ..."
6. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey (1921)
"Breeds on coast and is. from Cross Sound to Dixon Entrance; winters s. to Humboldt Co., calif. t P. i. annectens. Yakutat Fox Sparrow. ..."
7. Who's who in America by Marquis Who's Who, Inc (1903)
"Univ. of Calif, and Johns Hopkins Univ.; m. 1888, Julia C. Tyler, of Oakland. calif. Taught school several yrs.; did editorial and other work for San ..."