Definition of By design
1. Adverb. With intention; in an intentional manner. "I did this by choice"
Antonyms: Accidentally, Accidentally, Unintentionally
Partainyms: Deliberate, Intentional
Lexicographical Neighbors of By Design
Literary usage of By design
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1831)
"From tbe information of the peasants, Julian ascertained the vestiges of this ancient work, •which were almost obliterated by design or accident. ..."
2. English Synonymes Explained in Alphabetical Order: With Copious by George Crabb (1881)
"The WAY is both general and indefinite; it is either taken by accident, or chosen by design : the MANNER and METHOD are species of the vay chosen by design. ..."
3. Plato, and the Other Companions of Sokrates by George Grote (1888)
"... by design, than that of one who misses when to'have the he tries to hit The like about all other arts—the bowman* physician, the harper, ..."
4. Judicial and Statutory Definitions of Words and Phrases by West Publishing Company (1905)
"ful act Is an obstinate, stubborn, perverse act; and an act done willfully is one done stubbornly, by design, with set purpose. Now, the mere passiveness ..."