Definition of Armorial bearing
1. Noun. Heraldry consisting of a design or image depicted on a shield.
Specialized synonyms: Annulet, Roundel, Chevron, Fleur-de-lis, Fleur-de-lys, Ordinary
Generic synonyms: Heraldry
Derivative terms: Charge
Lexicographical Neighbors of Armorial Bearing
Literary usage of Armorial bearing
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Memoirs of the Literary and Philosophical Society of Manchester (1824)
"() OBSERVATIONS ON THE armorial bearing OP THE Town of Manchester, ... I am desirous, however, that the armorial bearing of a town of such consequence in ..."
2. Mithridates Minor, Or, An Essay on Language by Henry Welsford (1848)
"... or armorial bearing, of the Phoenicians was a palm tree (tom. ii. p. 58.). Did they take this cognizance because the palm tree ..."
3. The Ancient Cathedral of Cornwall Historically Surveyed by John Whitaker (1804)
"So much does misapprehension disguise objects by description ! The object is apparently to the eye a PORT-CULLIS ; that armorial bearing ..."
4. An Olla Podrida: Or, Scraps, Numismatic, Antiquarian, and Literary by Richard Sainthill (1853)
"... ANCIENT armorial bearing OF IRELAND. AT page 166 of the Olla Podrida, is a paper on the Ancient Anns of Ireland, in which I brought together the Rev. ..."
5. The Justice of the Peace and Parish Officer by Richard Burn, Joseph Chitty, Thomas Chitty (1837)
"armorial bearing or Ensign, used or worn by them, by whatever name the same shall be called." .f. з. d. By every such person chargeable with any duty made ..."
6. Vestigia Insulae Manniae Antiquiora, Or A Dissertation on the Armorial by H. R. Oswald (1860)
"... and when Man became separated territorially from that bishopric, the Bishops of Sodor and Man assumed only an orle for their armorial bearing, ..."