Definition of Adrenal medulla
1. Noun. The medulla of the adrenal gland; secretes epinephrine.
Group relationships: Adrenal, Adrenal Gland, Suprarenal Gland
Medical Definition of Adrenal medulla
1. The inner part of the adrenal gland; it synthesises, stores and releases catecholamines. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Adrenal Medulla
Literary usage of Adrenal medulla
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Internal Secretion and the Ductless Glands by Swale Vincent (1912)
"... by stimulation of nerves belonging to the sympathetic and autonomic systems :l M. The Chemical Nature of the Active Substance of the adrenal medulla and ..."
2. A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story by Andrei Maylunas (2005)
"Chromogranin B (420-4931-LI was present in the bovine adrenal medulla chromaffin granules as well as in the anterior pituitary gland and was released from ..."
3. The Glands Regulating Personality: A Study of the Glands of Internal by Louis Berman (1921)
"In women, the adrenal medulla naturally tends to overtop the cortex, ... It would follow that courage meant simply inhibition of the adrenal medulla. ..."
4. Pathological physiology of internal diseases by Albion Walter Hewlett (1916)
"adrenal medulla.—The adrenal medulla consists mainly of nervous tissue which is closely related in development to the sympathetic nervous system. ..."
5. The Medical Clinics of North America by Richard J. Havel, K. Patrick Ober (1921)
"This is used on the basis that overactivity of the thyroid and adrenal medulla frequently go together. The function of adrenal medulla and cortex, however, ..."
6. Psychology, from the Standpoint of a Behaviorist by John Broadus Watson (1919)
"The (2) adrenal medulla is composed of cells which have a different form and ... Function of the adrenal medulla.—In animals death follows the removal of ..."
7. Neoplastic Diseases: A Treatise on Tumors by James Ewing (1922)
"MEDULLARY ADRENAL TUMORS Tumors of the adrenal medulla include three ... which goes to form the adrenal medulla, and the varying structure of the tumors ..."