Definition of Acanthisitta
1. Noun. A genus of Xenicidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Acanthisittidae, Family Acanthisittidae, Family Xenicidae, Xenicidae
Member holonyms: Acanthisitta Chloris, Rifleman Bird
Lexicographical Neighbors of Acanthisitta
Literary usage of Acanthisitta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1888)
"acanthisitta chloris, Gray, Ibis, 1862, p. 219; Finsch, JfO 1867, p. ... acanthisitta citrina. Gray, List of Gen. 1842, Л»», p. 6 ; Ellman, Zool. 1861, p. ..."
2. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1882)
"... longipes and acanthisitta Moris, the examination of which has proved to be of ... having some twenty years previously established acanthisitta for ..."
3. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases, and Usages by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"[Footnote]: " This has hitherto been written acanthisitta; but Professor Newton has drawn my attention to the fact of its being erroneous. ..."
4. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1888)
"... of that continent, which doubt is increased by the late Mr Forbes's discovery (Proc. Zool. Society, 1882, pp. 669-571) that the genera acanthisitta and ..."