Definition of Delhi
1. Noun. A city in north central India.
Generic synonyms: City, Metropolis, Urban Center
Group relationships: Bharat, India, Republic Of India
Terms within: Capital Of India, Indian Capital, New Delhi
Definition of Delhi
1. Proper noun. National capital territory and old city in northern India in which the country’s capital New Delhi is located. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Delhi
Literary usage of Delhi
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Imperial Gazetteer of India by William Wilson Hunter (1886)
"Its Great Mosque, or ' '' Jama Masjid, was commenced in the fourth year of his reign shah ^ and completed in the tenth. The palace at Delhi, ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General (1890)
"Delhi city. The total area of the district is returned at the Emperor Shah ... Delhi. On the opposite aide of the river is tee fortress of ..."
3. The Annual Register edited by Edmund Burke (1859)
"Delhi for his share in the insurrection that broke out last year in ... For that he, being a pensioner of the British Government in India, did at Delhi, ..."
4. A History of the Military Transactions of the British Nation in Indostan by Robert Orme (1799)
"336. m, 338 1754, a fictitious patent Delhi, power, and authority of the ... In 1747, Delhi little known to the Europeans in India, 85. a vaft piece ..."
5. History of Indian and Eastern Architecture by James Fergusson (1899)
"Notwithstanding these defects, the palace at Delhi is, or rather was, ... The palace at Delhi, which is situated like that at Agra close to the edge of the ..."
6. Early Records of British India: A History of the English Settlements in by James Talboys Wheeler (1878)
"For years Delhi had been a bone of contention between Mah- ... Since then the Vizier had been driven out of Delhi by the Afghans under Ahmad Shah Abdali. ..."