Definition of Chislev
1. Noun. The third month of the civil year; the ninth month of the ecclesiastical year in the Jewish calendar (in November and December).
Group relationships: Hebrew Calendar, Jewish Calendar
Terms within: Channukah, Channukkah, Chanukah, Chanukkah, Feast Of Dedication, Feast Of Lights, Feast Of The Dedication, Festival Of Lights, Hannukah, Hanukah, Hanukkah
Generic synonyms: Jewish Calendar Month
Lexicographical Neighbors of Chislev
Literary usage of Chislev
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah by Alfred Edersheim (1883)
"2. On the 2oth the wall of Samaria was taken. 3. On the 27th the meat-offering was again brought on the altar. IX. Chislev. 1. ..."
2. Twelve hundred questions and answers on the Bible, by M.H. & I.H. Myers by M H. Myers, I H. Myers (1845)
"The Perfect year has three hundred and fifty-five days, when the months Heshvan and Chislev have each thirty days; the Common three hundred and fifty-four ..."
3. The House of Seleucus by Edwin Robert Bevan (1902)
"4, 52, as the 25th of Chislev, year 148, ie in December 165 BC Can the documents of ... The month and day (Chislev 25) are fixed by the annual celebration, ..."
4. The Book of the Twelve Minor Prophets by Ebenezer Henderson (1845)
"The occurrence here described took place two years later than those described in the preceding chapters. i?ra, Chislev, the name of the ninth month of the ..."