2. Verb. (third-person singular of twist) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Twists
1. twist [v] - See also: twist
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Twists Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Twists
Literary usage of Twists
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Dictionary of Textiles by Louis Harmuth (1915)
"Average Jute yarn of 3 Ib. grist is usually given 8 twists ... In woolen and worsted yarns the number of twists depends on the length of the fiber and the ..."
2. The American Cotton Spinner and Managers' and Carders' Guide: A Practical by Robert H. Baird (1851)
"TO FIND THE NUMBER OF TURNS PER STRETCH, AND twists PER INCH. EXAMPLE. ... 60 483 480 360 360 Ans. Nearly 18 J twists to the inch. ..."
3. A History of Nursery Rhymes by Percy B. Green (1899)
"TO charm away the hiccup one must repeat these four lines thrice in one breath, and a cure will be certain— •When a twister twisting twists him a twist, ..."
4. The Theory of Screws: A Study in the Dynamics of a Rigid Body by Robert Stawell Ball (1876)
"The identity of the laws of composition of twists and wrenches can be ... Suppose three twists about three screws a, /3, 7, possess the property that the ..."
5. An Elementary Treatise on Dynamics: Containing Applications to by Benjamin Williamson, Francis Alexander Tarleton (1889)
"If, therefore, the motion could be effected by two different twists, there would be two different lines along which points of the body would continue ..."
6. Elements of Dynamic: An Introduction to the Study of Motion and Rest in by William Kingdon Clifford, ( (1878)
"COMPOSITION OF twists. The resultant of any number of spins and translation - velocities is a twist. Take any point o, and let ab represent one of the spins ..."
7. Woollen and Worsted Cloth Manufacture: Being a Practical Treatise for the by Roberts Beaumont (1890)
"Arrangement of Yarns for Herring-bone Styles—63. Twisting—64. " Selfs" and Twist Threads—65. Difference in effect of twists and Selfs—66. ..."