Definition of Tuvalu
1. Noun. A small island republic on the Tuvalu islands; formerly part of the British colony of Gilbert and Ellice Islands until it withdrew in 1975 and became independent of the United Kingdom in 1978.
2. Noun. A group of coral islands in Micronesia to the southwest of Hawaii.
Group relationships: Federated States Of Micronesia, Micronesia, Tt
Generic synonyms: Archipelago
Definition of Tuvalu
1. Proper noun. A country in Oceania. Official name: Tuvalu. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tuvalu Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tuvalu
Literary usage of Tuvalu
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"tuvalu has no defense force and it is believed that it has never produced, ... The islands of tuvalu are affected by UXO dating from heavy fighting during ..."
2. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (1999)
"tuvalu has no defense force and is not believed to have ever produced, ... The islands of tuvalu were the scene of heavy fighting during World War Two ..."
3. Landmine Monitor Report 2002: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Human Rights Watch (Organization). (2002)
"2 tuvalu was absent during the vote on pro-ban UN General Assembly Resolution 56/24M in November 2001. Teo confirmed that the country does not use, produce, ..."
4. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"tuvalu The Constitution provides for freedom of religion, and the Government respects this right in practice. There was no change in the status of respect ..."
5. Regional Workshop on Solar Power Generation Using Photovoltaic Technology (1999)
"... THE tuvalu SOLAR ELECTRIC CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY Solar PV systems were first introduced into tuvalu in 1979 to power the interisland telecommunications ..."