Definition of Tribolium
1. Noun. Flour beetles.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Tenebrionidae, Tenebrionidae
Member holonyms: Flour Beetle, Flour Weevil
Medical Definition of Tribolium
1. A genus of small beetles of the family tenebrionidae; t. Confusum is the "confused flour beetle". (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tribolium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tribolium
Literary usage of Tribolium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Entomologist; an Illustrated Journal of General Entomology by Edward Newman, Royal Entomological Society of London (1881)
"... and which I at first took for tribolium ferrugineum, Fab. ; but upon a more careful examination I find them to be tribolium confusum, Duv. ..."
2. The Entomologist's Monthly Magazine by Nathaniel Lloyd and Company (1896)
"still preserved in the Banksian collection at the British Museum, and to my astonishment it proved to be totally unlike a tribolium,to which genus it had ..."
3. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine, Taylor and Francis (1870)
"course through the medium of commerce) in the Madeiras, Canaries, Cape-Verdes, and Ascension. Genus 46. tribolium. MacLeay, Annul. Javan. 47 (1825). 70. ..."
4. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1875)
"tribolium confusum, Duv., occurs in England : D. Sharp, Ent. MM ix. p. 268. tribolium ferrugineum destroying Arachis ..."
5. Rice Seed Health: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Rice Seed by International Rice Research Institute, United Nations Development Programme (1988)
"Entomol. 95:1117-1119. Roth LM (1943) Studies of gaseous secretion of tribolium confusum. II. The odoriferous glands of tribolium confusum. Ann. Entomol. ..."