Definition of Topwork
1. to graft scions of another variety of plant on the main branches of [v -ED, -ING, -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Topwork Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Topwork
Literary usage of Topwork
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Apples of New York by Spencer Ambrose Beach, Nathaniel Ogden Booth, Orrin Morehouse Taylor (1905)
"... is rather tender and liable to scald or canker on the trunk and larger branches. On this account it is desirable to topwork it upon Northern Spy or some ..."
2. The Minnesota Horticulturist by Minnesota State Horticultural Society (1896)
"I topwork for several reasons, and the first is to increase hardiness;! have ... Then I topwork to increase longevity, and I have abundant proof that it ..."
3. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the New Jersey State Horticultural Society by New Jersey State Horticultural Society (1907)
"That is, take a good, strong, healthy, vigorous young tree, with a strong root system, and topwork on it the variety desired, and in selecting those buds ..."
4. Wills and Inventories from the Registers of the Commissary of Bury St by Samuel Tymms (1850)
"... 91 topwork, abroad at spinners, 169 Torches, 74 lull! by men and women clad in black and white, 17 ^—^— about the herse, 109 Toret, ..."
5. Historical Records of New South Wales by Frank Murcott Bladen (1895)
"As she drew * when she left the Downs, the proportion of the topwork out of the water to that below it— before the mainmast—ie, 10 feet 6 inches—is by no ..."
6. The Wonders of Pompeii by Marc Monnier (1871)
"... adopted almost everywhere, changed the style of the monuments; the old shafts covered with stucco were patched up for the new topwork they were to ..."
7. How to Teach Agriculture: A Book of Methods in this Subject by Ashley Van Storm, Kary Cadmus Davis (1921)
"Teach how to topwork fruit trees. Teach how to dig for borers at the proper time. Teach how to protect trees from borers. Teach how to catch rabbits or ..."
8. Annual Report of the Wisconsin State Horticultural Society by Wisconsin State Horticultural Society (1900)
"I also set out fifteen Virginia crab to topwork, but unfortunately thought it best not to work them the following spring and very few of the grafts I made ..."