Definition of Tofieldia
1. Noun. Genus of perennial herbs of cool temperate regions; sometimes placed in family Melanthiaceae.
Generic synonyms: Liliid Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Liliaceae, Liliaceae, Lily Family
Member holonyms: False Asphodel, Scotch Asphodel, Tofieldia Pusilla
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tofieldia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tofieldia
Literary usage of Tofieldia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Student's Flora of the British Islands by Joseph Dalton Hooker (1878)
"A rigid herb with the habit and leaves of tofieldia. Flowers racemose, golden-yellow, pedicel 1-bracteate ; perianth-segments subequal, spreading, ..."
2. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1896)
"tofieldia racemosa (Walt.) BSP Viscid tofieldia. (Fig. 968. ... tofieldia racemosa BSP Prel. Cat. NY 55. 1888. Similar to the preceding species but rather ..."
3. A General System of Botany Descriptive and Analytical: In Two Parts by Emmanuel Le Maout, Joseph Decaisne, Joseph Dalton Hooker (1876)
"Perianth leaves free, sessile, or very shortly clawed, sometimes united at the base. Ovary free or semi-inferior. PRINCIPAL GENERA. tofieldia. Amianthium. ..."
4. Icones Plantarum: Or Figures, with Brief Descriptive Characters and Remarks ...by William Jackson Hooker by William Jackson Hooker (1844)
"Nearly allied to tofieldia frígida (which is surely identical with ... (R. and P.) with that of tofieldia, we should find the former to be a distinct genus, ..."
5. Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club by Torrey Botanical Club (1894)
"tofieldia glutinosa Pers. Syn. i: 399 (1805). ... tofieldia palustris Huds. FI. Angl. Ed. 2, 157 (1778). Helonias borealis Willd. Sp. Pl. a: 274 (1799). ..."