2. Verb. (third-person singular of sustain) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Sustains
1. sustain [v] - See also: sustain
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sustains Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sustains
Literary usage of Sustains
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"The more apparent disorder it contains, the more it partakes of the fire of intoxication, the better it sustains the true dithyrambic character. ..."
2. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by Anna Lorraine Guthrie, Marion A. Knight, H.W. Wilson Company, Estella E. Painter (1920)
"Commission government—Municipal—Continued Sacramento sustains commission government. Nat Munie K 6:418-19 My '17 Ser aleo City manager plan Commission on ..."
3. Journal by New York (State). Legislature. Senate (1915)
"hold, in the absence of any convincing argument which sustains a different construction of the rules. Said Assembly bill, as amended, was read the third ..."
4. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1885)
"A thorough examination of this case convinces us that, on principle, it fully sustains our position. Messrs. TT Gantt, FT Hughes and AJ Baker, ..."
5. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1911)
"so far as the order overrules the demurrer It is affirmed, but in so far as it sustains the demurrer it is reversed. (87 SC 250) BOWEN v. JOHNSTON. ..."