Definition of Summer duck
1. Noun. Showy North American duck that nests in hollow trees.
Generic synonyms: Duck
Group relationships: Aix, Genus Aix
Specialized synonyms: Wood Drake
Summer Duck Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Summer Duck Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Summer Duck
Literary usage of Summer duck
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Ornithology: Or The Natural History of the Birds of the United States by Alexander Wilson, Charles Lucian Bonaparte, Robert Jameson, George Ord, William Maxwell Hetherington (1831)
"It is called the wood duck, from the circumstance of its breeding in hollow trees; and the summer duck, from remaining with us chiefly during the ..."
2. Frank Forester's Field sports of the United States and British provinces of by Henry William Herbert (1860)
"THE WOOD DUCK—summer duck. Anas Sponsa. " Male, 2CH.28. Female, 19J. " Breeds throughout the country from Texas to the Colum- ..."
3. Frank Forester's Field Sports of the United States, and British Provinces by Henry William Herbert (1864)
"THE WOOD DUCK —summer duck. Anas Sponsa. " Male, 20i.28. Female, 19£. " Breeds throughout the country from Texas to the Colum- ..."
4. Wild Fowl Shooting: Containing Scientific and Practical Descriptions of Wild by William Bruce Leffingwell (1888)
"WOOD DUCK—summer duck. '' Now Nature hangs her mantle green On every blooming ... They are rightly named summer duck, they are so different from all others. ..."
5. The Architecture of Birds by James Rennie (1833)
"The beautiful pendent crest of the summer-duck arises from a base of glossy golden green, shading off into a rich violet brown, dashed with interrupted ..."
6. Wild Fowl Shooting: Containing Scientific and Practical Descriptions of Wild by William Bruce Leffingwell (1888)
"WOOD DUCK—summer duck. " Now Nature hangs her mantle green On every blooming tree, And spreads her sheets of daisies white Out o'er the grassy lea. ..."
7. American Game in Its Seasons by Henry William Herbert (1853)
"THE summer duck, OR WOOD DUCK. Anas Sponsa. THIS lovely species of the most ... Its more correct title, " summer duck," is referable to the fact, ..."