Definition of Stiles
1. Noun. (plural of stile) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Stiles
1. stile [n] - See also: stile
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Stiles Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Stiles
Literary usage of Stiles
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: In the by John Tracy Atkyns, Philip Yorke Hardwicke, William Newnam, Great Britain Court of Chancery (1781)
"... to fee what was Of the demand. due to Sir John Smith; very foon after Mr. Ha/kins stiles died, and by his will appointed Francis ..."
2. The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Being the History of the by James Terry White (1895)
"stiles, Edward H., lawyer and legal author, was born ¡u Granby, Conn., Oct. 8, 1836. His ancestors on both sides were Puritans, and among the first settlers ..."
3. Commentaries on the Laws of England: In Four Books by William Blackstone, William Draper Lewis (1902)
"On failure of the descendants of John stiles himself, the issue of Geoffrey and Lucy stiles, his parents, is called in: viz. ..."
4. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register by Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters (1907)
"stiles cont'd Eli 60 469 Elizabeth 8 362 8 130 226 stiles oont'd 16 213 30 92 ... see stiles STILLINGFLEET Edward Bp. of Worcester 10 324 16 119 23124 2655 ..."
5. American State Trials: A Collection of the Important and Interesting by John Davison Lawson, Robert Lorenzo Howard (1918)
"He said afterwards, that his statements respecting Mrs. stiles' innocence ... She had said she wished stiles was dead, and wished somebody would put him out ..."
6. Historical Records and Studies (1905)
"The biographers of Dr. stiles have not stinted themselves in their ... In Allen's Biographical Dictionary we are told that "Dr. stiles was one of the ..."
7. Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences by Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences (1871)
"EZRA stiles, STD, was graduated at Yale College in 1746, and in 1749 became ... President stiles commenced a Meteorological Journal at Newport, in January, ..."
8. The Principles of the Law of Real and Personal Property: Being the Second by James Stewart, William Blackstone (1844)
"If his line be extinct, then Gilbert stiles and other sons respectively in ... On failure of the descendants of John stiles himself, a great difference ..."