Definition of St. lucia
1. Noun. A country on the island of Saint Lucia; gained independence from Great Britain in 1979.
Group relationships: Oas, Organization Of American States
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Group relationships: Caribbean, Windward Islands, Windward Isles
Terms within: Saint Lucia, Castries
2. Noun. A volcanic island in the Windward Isles to the south of Martinique.
St. Lucia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: St. Lucia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of St. Lucia
Literary usage of St. lucia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Guide to the Materials for American History, to 1783 by Charles McLean Andrews (1912)
"A series of letters from st. lucia and St. Vincent, etc., of value. ... Account of the Settlement of st. lucia by the Duke of Montague.1 Evidence similar to ..."
2. Guide to the Materials for American History, to 1783 by Charles McLean Andrews (1912)
"st. lucia. 1709-1798. Miscellaneous. I. 1717-1730. Papers relating to the respective claims of the English II. The bundle contains a few papers of date ..."
3. The History, Civil and Commercial, of the British Colonies in the West Indies by Bryan Edwards (1806)
"Conquest of st. lucia.—Description of Guadaloupe.—Proceedings against that Island-.-^-Its Surrender completes the Conquest of the French West India Colonies ..."
4. The Life of George Washington: Commander in Chief of the American Forces by John Marshall (1805)
"st. lucia taken by the British....St. Vincents and Grenada by the French. ... st. lucia surrendered to the British, in compensation for st. vin«nt. which ..."
5. Legends of the Madonna as Represented in the Fine Arts: Forming the Third by Jameson (Anna) (1857)
"So is st. lucia with one of these or both : st. lucia with her lamp or her eyes, is always expressive of light., the light of divine wisdom. ..."
6. Chronological History of the West Indies by Thomas Southey (1827)
"... i The following is the'Jat of the Fleet with Lieutenant General Sir Ralph Abercrombie, fB at the recapture of st. lucia, on the 25th May, 1796. ..."