Definition of Sri lanka
1. Noun. A republic on the island of Ceylon; became independent of the United Kingdom in 1948.
Geographical relationships: Liberation Tigers Of Tamil Eelam, Ltte, Tamil Tigers, Tigers, World Tamil Association, World Tamil Movement, Hindooism, Hinduism
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Terms within: Capital Of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Kandy, Eelam, Tamil Eelam, Adam's Peak, Samanala
Member holonyms: Singhalese, Sinhalese, Sri Lankan
Derivative terms: Sri Lankan
Definition of Sri lanka
1. Proper noun. Country in South Asia. Official name: Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Sri Lanka Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sri Lanka Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sri Lanka
Literary usage of Sri lanka
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Culture of Violence by Kumar Rupesinghe (1994)
"The ethnic struggle, which has left few corners of sri lanka untouched, extends from a complex of historical processes. The critical ones for understanding ..."
2. Insurance Regulation and Supervision in Asia by Centre for Co-operation with Non-members (1999)
"The Insurance Corporation of sri lanka was established and given a ... The insurance industry in sri lanka and salient features of the Control of Insurance ..."
3. Playing the "Communal Card": Communal Violence and Human Rights by Cynthia G. Brown, Farhad Karim (1995)
"In 1983 began a civil war in which loyalties were defined largely by ethnicity in sri lanka. That war has killed some 30000 people. ..."
4. In Search of Population Policy: Views from the Developing World by National Academy of Sciences (U.S.) (1974)
"SIVA OBEYSEKERA, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Health, Government of sri lanka, Colombo, sri lanka DR. ZUBEIDA ZAFAR OMER, Education and Research Department, ..."
5. Adoption, Spread, and Production Impact of Modern Rice Varieties in Asia by Robert W. Herdt, C. Capule (1983)
"sri lanka By the the early 1960s a substantial area of sri lanka's rice was ... These, called old improved varieties in sri lanka. had a somewhat higher ..."
6. Environmental Regulation and Food Safety: Studies of Protection and by Veena Jha (2005)
"The main market for sri lankan pepper exports is India, which absorbed 80 per cent of the total black pepper exports from sri lanka in 2000. ..."