Definition of Spike rush
1. Noun. A sedge of the genus Eleocharis.
Group relationships: Eleocharis, Genus Eleocharis
Specialized synonyms: Chinese Water Chestnut, Eleocharis Dulcis, Water Chestnut, Eleocharis Acicularis, Hair Grass, Needle Rush, Needle Spike Rush, Slender Spike Rush, Creeping Spike Rush, Eleocharis Palustris
Spike Rush Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spike Rush Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spike Rush
Literary usage of Spike rush
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report: New York by Otis Stuart (1904)
"Flat-stemmed Spike-rush. Shores of lakes. 378. E. Engelmanni Steud. ... Slender Spike-rush. Oscoda; east coast of L. Superior, Canadian Cat; Keweenaw Co., ..."
2. Flora of Pennsylvania by Thomas Conrad Porter (1903)
"BLUNT SPIKE-RUSH. (Man. p. 1044.) In wet soil, NB to BC, Fla., Tex. and Ore. ... SMALL'S SPIKE-RUSH. Sandy shores of islands, lower Susquehanna River, Pa. ..."
3. The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania: Annotated Checklist and Atlas by Ann Fowler Rhoads, William M. Klein (1993)
"Nees P Eleocharis elliptica Kunth Slender spike-rush Herbaceous perennial Moist ... Spike-rush Herbaceous annual Vernal ponds, moist ditches and roadsides. ..."
4. The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania: Annotated Checklist and Atlas by Ann Fowler Rhoads, William M. Klein (1993)
"Nées P Eleocharis elliptica Kunth Slender spike-rush Herbaceous ... Schultes Matted spike-rush Herbaceous annual Calcareous swamps, bogs and lake shores. ..."
5. Michigan Flora: A List of the Fern and Seed Plants Growing Without Cultivation by William James Beal (1904)
"Shores of lakes. 378. E. Engelmanni Steud. Engelmann's Spike-rush ... Ovoid Spike-rush. Wet grounds. N. shore of L. Superior, Agassiz; southward; ..."
6. Botany of the United States North of Virginia: Comprising Descriptions of by Lewis Caleb Beck (1848)
"Obtuse spike rush. *** Spike ovoid. Scales coriaceous. Bristles 6, rigid. ... Scales greenish with a. purple stripe. Capillary spike rush. 10. ..."