Definition of Sphecoid
1. Noun. Any of various solitary wasps.
Generic synonyms: Wasp
Group relationships: Sphecoidea, Superfamily Sphecoidea
Specialized synonyms: Mason Wasp, Digger Wasp, Mud Dauber
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sphecoid Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sphecoid
Literary usage of Sphecoid
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1919)
"The resemblance of it to certain sphecoid wasps is most extraordinary, and suggested the specific name. ..."
2. Field Book of Insects: With Special Reference to Those of Northeastern by Frank Eugene Lutz (1918)
"It is our largest sphecoid and, because of the food with which it stocks its underground burrows, it is called the Cicada-killer. 10. ..."
3. Biodiversity and the Management of the Madrean Archipelago: The Sky Islands edited by Leonard F. DeBano (1999)
"... bees and wasps) in sphecoid wasp ancestors at least by the middle the order Hymenoptera range in size from indi- Cretaceous 120 million years ago, ..."
4. Bulletin by Geological Survey Division, North Dakota Geological Survey, Solomon Islands, Geological Survey (U.S.) (1916)
"This is the largest sphecoid known from the eastern United States. It is large, robust, often more than 3o mm. long. It may be briefly described as follows: ..."