Definition of Spergula
1. Noun. Small genus of Old World annual herbs: corn spurry.
Generic synonyms: Caryophylloid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Carnation Family, Caryophyllaceae, Family Caryophyllaceae, Pink Family
Member holonyms: Corn Spurrey, Corn Spurry, Spergula Arvensis
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spergula Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spergula
Literary usage of Spergula
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Magazine of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and by C M Hovey (1860)
"spergula FILIFERA.—From eighteen months' constant observation, and having taken the care of my piece into my own hands, prohibiting any other hand from ..."
2. The Ottawa Naturalist by Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club (1904)
"Scotch Lake, NB spergula ARVENSIS, L. In Rhodora for August, 1905, ... I have just examined all the spergula in the herbarium of the Geological Survey and ..."
3. The United States: A Graphic History by Louis Morton Hacker, Rudolf Modley, George Rogers Taylor (1891)
"Stellaria media (chickweed) is among the most persistent of summer weeds in cultivated vineyards and orchards; while in the spring spergula arvensis ..."
4. The Microscopy of Vegetable Foods: With Special Reference to the Detection by Andrew Lincoln Winton, Josef Moeller, Kate Grace Barber Winton (1916)
"The seeds of common spurrey (spergula arvensis L.) often occur in linseed-cake and other ... Spurrey (spergula arvensis). Seeds natural size and enlarged. ..."
5. Botany by Geological Survey of California, William Henry Brewer, Sereno Watson, Asa Gray (1880)
"+- Petals conspicuous : styles distinct. 6. spergula Styles 5, alternate with the sepals and with the entire valves of the capsule. 7. ..."