Definition of Sooner state
1. Noun. A state in south central United States.
Terms within: Platt National Park, Bartlesville, Enid, Lawton, Mcalester, Muskogee, Capital Of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Arkansas, Arkansas River, Canadian, Canadian River, Cimarron, Cimarron River, Llano Estacado, Neosho, Neosho River, Red, Red River
Generic synonyms: American State
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Definition of Sooner state
1. Proper noun. Nickname of the U.S. state of Oklahoma. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Sooner State Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sooner State Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sooner State
Literary usage of Sooner state
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Elements of Government: With History and Government of Oklahoma by John Alley, Frederick Frank Blachly (1920)
"Oklahoma the " sooner state." — The term has remained, now having a more complimentary meaning than originally, it being applied to one who is energetic and ..."
2. Decimal Classification and Relative Index for Libraries and Personal Use: In ...by Melvil Dewey by Melvil Dewey (1922)
"... in 1920 77 counties Sobriquet: sooner state Capital: Guthrie .7 Arkansas 4 June 1812 included in Missouri territory; 2 Mar. 1819 organized as Arkansas ..."
3. The Encyclopædia of Pleading and Practice: Under the Codes and Practice Acts by William Mark McKinney, Thomas Johnson Michie (1901)
"... an opportunity to make such objection sooner; State v. St. Paul Trust Co., 76 Minn. 423, holding that where the taxpayer takes all necessary statutory ..."
4. Decimal Classification and Relativ Index for Libraries, Clippings, Notes, Etc by Melvil Dewey (1919)
"Population 800000 in 1906 Oklahoma organized as separate territory 2 May 1890 16 Nov. 1907 admitted as 46th state Area 69414 sq. mi. Sobriquet: sooner state ..."
5. Adventure Guide to Oklahoma by Lynne M. Sullivan (1999)
"The state capital is Oklahoma City. It became the 46th state on November 16, 1907. The highest point is Black Mesa at 4973 feet. Nicknamed the sooner state, ..."
6. Maps of the USA by Evan-Moor Educational Publishers, Jo Ellen Moore, Sandi Johnson (2004)
"Oklahoma "Labor Conquers All Things" State Bird scissor-tailed flycatcher Nickname The sooner state Admission Date November 16, 1907 46th to be admitted ..."
7. The Works of Orestes A. Brownson by Orestes Augustus Brownson, Henry Francis Brownson (1884)
"The direct thesis, when they have a direct thesis, which they profess to maintain, we can in most cases accept; but they no sooner state it, than they bring ..."