Definition of Sieva bean
1. Noun. Bush bean plant cultivated especially in southern United States having small flat edible seeds.
Terms within: Butter Bean, Butterbean, Civet Bean
Group relationships: Genus Phaseolus, Phaseolus
Generic synonyms: Shell Bean, Shell Bean Plant
2. Noun. Small flat green bean similar to lima beans.
Generic synonyms: Shell Bean
Group relationships: Butter Bean, Butter-bean Plant, Lima Bean, Phaseolus Lunatus
Sieva Bean Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sieva Bean Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sieva Bean
Literary usage of Sieva bean
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Magazine of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and by C M Hovey (1838)
"It is very inferior—no better or not so good as the Carolina Lima, or sieva bean.—J. Seven years' pumpkin.—Have you grown any seven years' pumpkins? ..."
2. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Wilhelm Miller, Liberty Hyde Bailey (1901)
"... both sides: fls. in loose, interrupted racemes, rather email, purple: pod flat, short, broadly oblong, somewhat curved. Tex., west and 1741. sieva bean— ..."
3. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1921)
"... Flat lima Bush form: Burpee's This may be written in diagram : Phaseolus Sieva bean—Henderson's bush lima lunatus f Potato ..."
4. The Microscopy of Vegetable Foods: With Special Reference to the Detection by Andrew Lincoln Winton, Josef Moeller, Kate Grace Barber Winton (1916)
"The small seeded Lima or sieva bean (Phaseolus lunatus L.) and the true or large-seeded Lima bean (P. lunatus var. macrocarpus Benth. ..."
5. The Field and Garden Vegetables of America: Containing Full Descriptions of by Fearing Burr (1874)
"Though several days earlier than the Lima, the sieva bean requires the whole season for its complete maturity ; and even when planted early, and receiving ..."
6. Garden Vegetables, and how to Cultivate Them by Fearing Burr (1866)
"sieva bean. — English Bean. — Pea. AMERICAN GARDEN-BEAN. French Bean. — Kidney Bean. — Haricot, of the French. — Phaseolus vulgaris. ..."