2. Noun. payess / payot ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Sidelock
1. a lock of hair at the side of the hair [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sidelock Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sidelock
Literary usage of Sidelock
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Journal of Archaeology by Archaeological Institute of America (1887)
"... a son of Rameses II, who wears the sidelock of youth (a fashion still universal in Nubia) and is entitled General of Cavalry of his Father: but it is ..."
2. A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Ann Blanford Edwards (1878)
"... at about ten years of age, "while yet he wore the plaited sidelock," he can scarcely have been more than fifteen at the time of his great exploit. ..."
3. Americanisms: The English of the New World by Maximilian Schele De Vere (1872)
"It is the descendant of the Cavalier's sidelock, of which Sir 'W.Scott says: "The gauntlet is speedily drawn off, that he may adjust his side- locks, ..."
4. Life in Ancient Egypt by Adolf Erman (1894)
"... which took the place of the youth- same- ful sidelock, the ancient princely badge ; they the lee, this being the only . , , , . . . . . , . also wore a ..."