Definition of Sharecrop
1. Verb. To participate in a financial arrangement in which a tenant farmer pays for use of land with a share (part) of the crop raised on that land. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Sharecrop
1. [v -CROPPED, -CROPPING, -CROPS]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sharecrop Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sharecrop
Literary usage of Sharecrop
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Efficiency of Nitrogen Fertilizers for Rice: Proceedings of the Meeting of by International Rice Research Institute (1987)
"Tenure categories of land planted to rice.3 Percent of Tenure categories farmers Owner operator" 15 Owner operator and sharecrop tenant° 10 Owner operator ..."
2. Fingers to the Bone: United States Failure to Protect Child Farmworkers by Lee Tucker, Human Rights Watch (Organization) (2000)
"... with the operation or maintenance of ditches, canals, reservoirs, or waterways, not owned or operated for profit, or operated on a sharecrop basis, ..."
3. Review the Impact of the Proposed Tobacco Settlement on Producers: Hearing edited by Thomas W. Ewing (1999)
"Likewise, producers who own, lease, or sharecrop have a substantial capital investment in equipment, etcetera that is needed to produce tobacco. ..."
4. Pricing Behavior in Philippine Corn Markets: Implications for Market Efficiency by Meyra Sebello Mendoza, Mark W. Rosegrant (1995)
"These other arrangements, as cited by the farmers, include sharecrop- ping, landownership obtained through certificates of land transfer, and inheritance. ..."
5. Group-Based Financial Institutions for the Rural Poor in Bangladesh: An by Manfred Zeller, Anna Ferro-Luzzi (2001)
"sharecrop- ping terms are usually 50 percent of the crop at harvest-time. Landowners generally do not provide agricultural inputs or share in the cost of ..."
6. Achieving Food Security in Southern Africa: New Challenges, New Opportunities by Lawrence James Haddad (1997)
"First, land rental markets, including sharecrop- ping, should be improved. A more flexible rental market would increase opportunities for households with ..."
7. Basic Procedures for Agroeconomic Research by International Rice Research Institute (1991)
"The following factor share calculation uses farm records from a Philippine sharecrop- ping rice farm (Table 1). For collection of cost data from ..."