Definition of Schliemann
1. Noun. German archaeologist who discovered nine superimposed city sites of Troy; he also excavated Mycenae (1822-1890).
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Schliemann Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Schliemann
Literary usage of Schliemann
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Modern Eloquence by Thomas Brackett Reed, Rossiter Johnson, Justin McCarthy, Albert Ellery Bergh (1900)
"HEINRICH schliemann THE BEGINNINGS OF ART [Speech of Heinrich schliemann at the ... In introducing Dr. schliemann, Sir Gilbert Scott spoke as follows: ..."
2. The Quarterly Review by William Gifford, George Walter Prothero, John Gibson Lockhart, John Murray, Whitwell Elwin, John Taylor Coleridge, Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle, William Macpherson, William Smith (1886)
"By Dr. Henry schliemann. The Preface by Professor F. Adler, ... In the case of Dr. schliemann, it is easy to see why he has succeeded where so many have ..."
3. Macmillan's Magazine by John Morley, Mowbray Morris, David Masson, George Grove (1891)
"A man who rises as did schliemann by business talent from utmost poverty to ... But interesting schliemann was—irresistibly interesting; and he moved on a ..."
4. Schliemann's Excavations: An Archaeological and Historical Study by Karl Schuchardt (1891)
"Dr. schliemann was no longer engaged in business, but the management of his great ... Dr. schliemann was not like Goethe, who only now and then made a ..."
5. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (1891)
"He introduced us to his companion, Heinrich schliemann, the discoverer of Troy. ... schliemann was the taller and broader, something between a jovial farmer ..."
6. Schliemann's Excavations: An Archaeological and Historical Study by Karl Schuchardt, Eugénie Sellers Strong (1891)
"Dr. schliemann founded a branch establishment at Moscow in 1852. ... These goods were now sold by Dr. schliemann to great advantage. ..."
7. History: Fiction of Science? by Anatoly Fomenko (2005)
"The ruins of a small mediaeval fortification that Heinrich schliemann suggested to refer to as "the remnants of the ancient Troy". ..."
8. American Journal of Archaeology by Archaeological Institute of America (1886)
"HENRY schliemann, Hon. DCL Oxon., &c., &c., &c. The Preface by PROFESSOR F. ... and other moveables are well described, the earlier found by Dr. schliemann, ..."