Definition of Sayornis
1. Noun. Phoebes.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Superfamily Tyrannidae, Tyrannidae
Member holonyms: Phoebe, Phoebe Bird, Sayornis Phoebe
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sayornis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sayornis
Literary usage of Sayornis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. "Forest and Stream" Bird Notes: An Index and Summary of All the by Harry B. Bailey (1881)
"... xii., 19, 365—Very common near <~omo, Wyoming ; they breed in crevices in cliffs in Kansas—SW Williston. . Say's Flycatcher. See sayornis ..."
2. Argentine Ornithology: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Birds of the Argentine by Philip Lutley Sclater, William Henry Hudson (1888)
"A single specimen of this bird was obtained by White at Fuerte de Andalgala, Catamarca, in September 1880, during a snow-storm. 119. sayornis CINERACEA ..."
3. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1907)
"sayornis nigricans Berlepsch and Taczanowski, Proc. Zool. Soc. Lona-''1 552 (Chimbo, w. Ecuador); Stone, Proc. Ac. Nat. Sei. Phila., 1899, 306 (H*1 centr. ..."
4. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"There is apparently no reasonable doubt as to the signification of " sayornis nigricans Bp."; if there is, sayornis can be taken from Gray, 1855 (Cat. ..."
5. Birds of the Kotzebue Sound Region, Alaska by Joseph Grinnell (1900)
"STATUS — Known only from the record by HS Swarth of a male specimen taken by near San Fernando, Los Angeles County, February 14, 1901. 258 (457) sayornis ..."