Definition of Saint johns river
1. Noun. A river in northeastern Florida that flows northward to Jacksonville and then eastward to empty into the Atlantic Ocean.
Group relationships: Everglade State, Fl, Florida, Sunshine State
Generic synonyms: River
Saint Johns River Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Saint Johns River Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Saint Johns River
Literary usage of Saint johns river
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States by Henry Gannett (1905)
"Saint Johns: river in Florida, ... Saint John the Baptist; parish in Louisiana, named from the saint johns river. Saint Joseph; county in Indiana, ..."
2. United States Coast Pilot: Atlantic Coast. Part VII. From Chesapeake Bay by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (1895)
"Vessels outside the entrance, waiting for the tide, will find good holding ground in 4J to 5 fathoms water with saint johns river Lighthouse bearing SW. ..."
3. The Journal of Captain William Pote, Jr.: During His Captivity in the French by William Pote, John Fletcher Hurst (1895)
"... So Called In saint johns river. at this place ye Indians, Gave me an account of ye Nature of ye 1 This was in the vicinity of Tobique River, ..."
4. The Americana: A Universal Reference Library, Comprising the Arts and ...by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines (1912)
"... port of entry, county-seat of Saint Johns County; on the Atlantic coast, about 38 miles south of the mouth of the saint johns river. The city is in lat. ..."