Definition of Sagebrush state
1. Noun. A state in the southwestern United States.
Terms within: Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Capital Of Nevada, Carson City, Las Vegas, Reno, Black Rock Desert, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, Colorado, Colorado River
Group relationships: Southwest, Southwestern United States, America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Generic synonyms: American State
Sagebrush State Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sagebrush State Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sagebrush State
Literary usage of Sagebrush state
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Old Order Changeth: A View of American Democracy by William Allen White (1910)
"... statute of a sagebrush state, passed in a corporation- baiting craze; it is a statute upon the books of the most conservative American state, ..."
2. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company, Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept (1915)
"And the sagebrush state and the troublesome territory go on producing until their total output is well over the billion dollar mark; and the cities of the ..."
3. Common School Spelling Book by Frances Boardman Squire Potter (1913)
"Bayou State Missouri Mo. Bullion State Montana Mont. North Carolina NC Old North State North Dakota N. Dak. Nebraska Nebr. sagebrush state Nevada Nev. ..."
4. The World Book: Organized Knowledge in Story and Picture by Michael Vincent O'Shea, Ellsworth D. Foster, George Herbert Locke (1917)
"Neutrality agreements have been broken , nevah'da, popularly known as the SAGEBRUSH STATE, and one of the Pacific group, is the most arid and most ..."
5. A History of the State of Nevada: Its Resources and People by Thomas Wren, Lewis Publishing Company (1904)
"PROFESSOR GILBERT C. ROSS, principal of the Virginia City public schools, and one of the leading educators of Nevada, is a native of the "sagebrush state," ..."