Definition of Russell
1. Noun. United States religious leader who founded the sect that is now called Jehovah's Witnesses (1852-1916).
2. Noun. English film director (born in 1927).
Generic synonyms: Film Maker, Film Producer, Filmmaker, Movie Maker
3. Noun. United States basketball center (born in 1934).
4. Noun. United States entertainer remembered for her roles in comic operas (1861-1922).
5. Noun. United States astronomer who developed a theory of stellar evolution (1877-1957).
Generic synonyms: Astronomer, Stargazer, Uranologist
6. Noun. Irish writer whose pen name was A.E. (1867-1935).
7. Noun. English philosopher and mathematician who collaborated with Whitehead (1872-1970).
Generic synonyms: Logician, Logistician, Philosopher
Definition of Russell
1. Proper noun. An English, Scottish and Irish surname from the Norman nickname for someone with red hair. ¹
2. Proper noun. (surnames male given name), transferred from the surname. Diminutive: Russ. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Russell Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Russell
Literary usage of Russell
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1915)
"John —Continued Royal academy of all academies. Craftsman russell ... Nation 100:385-6 Ap 8 '15 Philosophy of Bertrand russell; the reviewer 100:196-7 F 18 ..."
2. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1917)
"Overland ns 69:56 Ja '17 russell, Elizabeth Luncheons lor school children. ... Overland ns 69:331 Ар '17 russell, HA Factory purchasing system methods and ..."
3. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1909)
"russell, John Wellesley, 1851- Solutions of tli» examples In A sequel to ele- mentary ... russell on scientific horseshoeing, for leveling and balancing the ..."
4. The Cambridge Modern History by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton Acton, Ernest Alfred Benians, George Walter Prothero, Sir Adolphus William Ward (1907)
"The second difference was the rise of Lord John russell to a position equalling, if not rivalling, that of the Prime Minister. He had gained prestige by his ..."
5. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1897)
"Sir Henry russell (1751-1836) [qvl was his grandfather. ... Down, on 14 May 1812, was descended from the family of russell, barons of Killough of ..."
6. A Life of William Shakespeare by Sidney Lee (1916)
"There is no proof in russell, the local records that russell was a resident ... Shakespeare had opportunities of meeting in London one Thomas russell, ..."
7. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1904)
"The homicide occurred on Sunday, February 1, 1903, about 4 or 5 o'clock pm It appears that Hertzog and russell bad been drinking together prior to that date ..."