Definition of Rubiales
1. Noun. An order of dicotyledonous plants of the subclass Asteridae; have opposite leaves and an inferior compound ovary.
Generic synonyms: Plant Order
Group relationships: Asteridae, Subclass Asteridae
Member holonyms: Family Rubiaceae, Madder Family, Rubiaceae, Caprifoliaceae, Family Caprifoliaceae, Honeysuckle Family, Dipsacaceae, Family Dipsacaceae, Family Valerianaceae, Valerian Family, Valerianaceae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rubiales Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rubiales
Literary usage of Rubiales
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Dictionary of Spanish Painters: Comprehending that Part of Their Biography by A. O'Neil (1834)
"In Seville are some early pictures by him, but the greater part of rubiales' works are in Rome and Florence.—Seville and Italy. RUBIO (ANTONIO). ..."
2. Morphology of Angiosperms: (Morphology of Spermatophytes. Part II) by John Merle Coulter, Charles Joseph Chamberlain (1903)
"The distinguishing character to separate rubiales from the next alliance is not always clear, but in general the connivent and often united anthers of the ..."
3. Annals of the Artists of Spain by William Stirling Maxwell (1848)
"Pedro rubiales, a native of Estremadura, acquired great distinction at Rome in ... As no works of rubiales are known to have existed in the cathedrals and ..."
4. Phytogeography of Nebraska: I. General Survey by Roscoe Pound, Frederic Edward Clements (1900)
"... farm yards, and along roadsides, where it forms a dense carpet studded with blue flowers. It was first observed in region II in 1889. rubiales ..."