Definition of Red helleborine
1. Noun. Orchid of Mediterranean and Asia having a lax spike of bright rose-pink flowers.
Group relationships: Cephalanthera, Genus Cephalanthera
Generic synonyms: Helleborine
Red Helleborine Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Red Helleborine Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Red Helleborine
Literary usage of Red helleborine
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Memorials of John Bartram and Humphry Marshall by William Darlington, Peter Collinson (1849)
"But BILLY'S fine painting has given me a complete idea of its beauty; and that fine red helleborine [Calopogon, R. Br. ?], which I have long wanted. ..."
2. The Student's Flora of the British Islands by Joseph Dalton Hooker (1878)
"Europe, W. Siberia, W. Asia. 3. C. ru'bra, Rich.; leaves lanceolate, bracts exceeding the glandular pubescent ovaries, flowers rose-purple. red helleborine ..."
3. Modern Geography: A Description of the Empires, Kingdoms, States, and by John Pinkerton, Samuel Vince, Benjamin Smith Barton (1804)
"... impatiens noli-me-tangere ; and the rare serapias rubra, red helleborine. The marsh ditches abound with stratiotes aloides, ..."
4. Lesvos by Brian Anderson, Eileen Anderson (2004)
"We ourselves played a small part in providing the first-ever recording of the red helleborine, Cephalanthera rubra, on the island. ..."