Definition of Recessive gene
1. Noun. Gene that produces its characteristic phenotype only when its allele is identical. "The recessive gene for blue eyes"
Medical Definition of Recessive gene
1. A gene that is expressed onlywhen it is present in two copies or if theother copy is missing. (09 Oct 1997)
Recessive Gene Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Recessive Gene Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Recessive Gene
Literary usage of Recessive gene
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Rice Genetics: Proceedings of the International Rice Workshop at Lusaka by International Rice Research Institute (1986)
"The cultivar ASD 7 was reported to possess a single recessive gene that was either allelic or closely linked to the locus that conditioned resistance in the ..."
2. Bacterial Blight of Rice: Proceedings of the International Workshop on by International Rice Research Institute (1989)
"This recessive gene is effective against Japanese races, ... confirmed to have one recessive gene and one dominant gene as reported by Sidhu et al (1978): ..."
3. Progress in Irrigated Rice Research: Selected Papers and Abstracts from the by International Rice Research Institute (1989)
"Some varieties appear to have an additional recessive gene for resistance. Two new genes for resistance recently identified by Hernandez and Khush (1981) ..."
4. Studies of Inheritance in Guinea-pigs and Rats by William Ernest Castle, Sewall Wright (1916)
"If we designate by r the recessive gene for red-eye, and by p the recessive gene for pink-eye, then in the current Mendelian terminology the following F2 ..."
5. Hybrid Rice: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Hybrid Rice : 6 by International Rice Research Institute (1989)
"He reported that an Indian rice cultivar Plena had multiple pistils controlled by a single recessive gene. Morinaga and Tajiri (1941) found a double seed ..."
6. Rice Genetics II: Proceedings of the Second International Rice Genetics by International Rice Research Institute (1991)
"... was crossed with ARC 10550, which has a recessive gene. ... genes that have not hitherto been named; ARC 10550 alone possessed a single recessive gene. ..."
7. Statistics and Science: A Festschrift for Terry Speed by Darlene Renee Goldstein, T. P. Speed (2003)
"... 0.5, 0.7,0.9) For example, the first 5 points correspond to R=O.Q2, HQ. 1, recessive gene action, p=0.1 and /?=0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 or 0.9; ..."