Definition of President grant
1. Noun. 18th President of the United States; commander of the Union armies in the American Civil War (1822-1885).
Generic synonyms: Full General, General, Chief Executive, President, President Of The United States, United States President
President Grant Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: President Grant Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of President Grant
Literary usage of President grant
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Encyclopaedia Britannica, a Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"As early as 1870 president grant recommended measures of civil service reform, and succeeded in obtaining an act authorizing him to appoint a Civil Service ..."
2. Report by Public Archives of Canada (1893)
"Being the amount of Fees- mi divers public Instruments due to Mr. president grant between the llth September and the December 1805 inclusive. ..."
3. The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Being the History of the by James Terry White (1895)
"In 1869 president grant appointed Mr. Marshall first assistant ... He was recalled to be made postmaster-general under president grant in August of 1874. ..."
4. History of the United States from the Compromise of 1850 by James Ford Rhodes (1906)
"president grant thanked and congratulated Sumner on his speech2 but if he had given his mind to the Alabama claims his policy would have been Chandler's and ..."
5. Great Debates in American Hist: From the Debates in the British Parliament by United States Congress, Great Britain Parliament, Marion Mills Miller (1913)
"No Action—president grant Repeats His Recommendation—John Sherman [O.] Introduces Bill in the Senate to Resume Specie Payments on January 1, 1879—Debate: ..."