Definition of Podalyria
1. Noun. Genus of South African leguminous shrubs often placed in genus Sophora.
Generic synonyms: Rosid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Papilionoideae, Subfamily Papilionoideae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Podalyria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Podalyria
Literary usage of Podalyria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Green-house Companion: Comprising a General Course of Green-house and by John Claudius Loudon (1825)
"olive-leaved podalyria. P. hirsuta, hairy podalyria. P. cordata, heart-leaved podalyria. These are all pretty Cape plants, flowering from March to June: ..."
2. Hortus Kewensis; Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1811)
"Brown mss. Sophora sericea, Andrew s's reposit. 440. Silky podalyria, Nat. of the Cape of Good Hope. Mr. David Nelson. Introd. 1778. Fl. August—November. ..."
3. The Green-house Companion: Comprising a General Course of Green-house and by John Claudius Loudon (1825)
"P. cuneifolia, wedge-leaved podalyria. P. biflora, two-flowered podalyria, BM 753. ... P. cordata, heart-leaved podalyria. These are all pretty Cape plants, ..."
4. Companion to the Botanical Magazine by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1835)
"I have flowering specimens of the same species from Mr. Nuttall, gathered in the Arkansas, and marked podalyria villosa; but that plant has decidedly ..."