2. Adjective. (zoology) Having a crest covering the pileum ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Pileated
1. pileate [adj] - See also: pileate
Medical Definition of Pileated
1. Having the form of a cap for the head.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pileated Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pileated
Literary usage of Pileated
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1900)
"... of very important characters.1 Upon superior aspect, this skull has the general characters of the skull of a pileated Woodpecker; it differs, however, ..."
2. Birds of Village and Field: A Bird Book for Beginners by Florence Merriam Bailey (1898)
"pileated Woodpecker; Cock-of-the-Woods ... In the hummocks and cypress swamps of Florida, however, Mr. Chapman tells us the pileated ..."
3. A Preliminary Catalog of the Birds of Missouri by Otto Widmann (1907)
"Fortunately, pileated Woodpeckers are still found in different parts of the state, more especially in the heavy timber of the southeast. ..."
4. Bulletin by Bureau of Biological Survey, United States (1907)
"The pileated is an adept at such telegraphing, and its tattoo on a ... The pileated woodpecker seems to be distributed over the United States in general, ..."