Definition of Piece of writing
1. Noun. The work of a writer; anything expressed in letters of the alphabet (especially when considered from the point of view of style and effect). "That editorial was a fine piece of writing"
Specialized synonyms: Bowdlerisation, Bowdlerization, Title, Cryptogram, Cryptograph, Secret Writing, Rescript, Revision, Rewrite, Literary Composition, Literary Work, Literature, Literature, Matter, Criticism, Literary Criticism, Section, Subdivision, Paragraph, Diary, Journal, Inscription, Lettering, Manuscript, Ms, Autograph, Treatise, Adaptation, Version, Essay, Editing, Redaction, Religious Text, Religious Writing, Sacred Text, Sacred Writing, Screed, Document, Papers, Written Document, Dramatic Composition, Dramatic Work, Dithyramb, Plagiarism, Transcript
Generic synonyms: Black And White, Written Communication, Written Language
Terms within: Epilog, Epilogue
Specialized synonyms: Ayurveda
Piece Of Writing Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Piece Of Writing Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Piece Of Writing
Literary usage of Piece of writing
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia: Extracted from the by Lyman Chalkley, Mary Smith Lockwood (1912)
"The humble petition of Elizabeth Lamb sheweth: That your petitioner, by reason of a piece of writing made by one, George Taylor, in the County of Augusta, ..."
2. Practical Ideas for Teaching Writing As a Process by Carol B. Olson (1996)
"Think of the piece of writing as having magically evolved out of a different piece of writing, and it will eventually evolve into some other piece of ..."
3. The Writing of English by John Matthews Manly, Edith Rickert (1920)
"Cut up into sentences the clearest and most eloquent piece of writing you can find, ... If you had cut the piece of writing into paragraphs instead of into ..."
4. Writing Sense: Integrated Reading and Writing Lessons for English Language by Juli Kendall, Outey Khuon (2006)
"Explain to students that everyone will be reading a piece of writing ... Make the changes and additions to your piece of writing. ..."
5. Chambers's Encyclopaedia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge (1901)
"The Prologue to this famous fragment is an admirable piece of writing; but the theme was soon felt to be wearisomely monotonous, and was abandoned. ..."
6. The Works of William Paley by William Paley, Edmund Paley, James Paxton (1825)
"The last, and probably the very last piece of writing with which he was concerned, as it seemed to have been before him at his last sitting, ..."