Definition of Picus viridis
1. Noun. Woodpecker of Europe and western Asia.
Generic synonyms: Pecker, Peckerwood, Woodpecker
Group relationships: Genus Picus, Picus
Picus Viridis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Picus Viridis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Picus Viridis
Literary usage of Picus viridis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Scientific Memoirs of Thomas Henry Huxley by Thomas Henry Huxley (1901)
"The palate of picus viridis. a. The ossified septum. b. The transverse bar of bone connected with it. Vo. The ossicles which probably represent the ..."
2. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1843)
"In this intermediate division — of which, he remarks, our own picus viridis and the Picus canus of the Continent ma; be considered as the types, ..."
3. Report of the Annual Meeting (1841)
"0 picus viridis, L. Picus major, L. -f- 0 ,, minor, L. 0 ,, martius, ... picus viridis would appear to be generally distributed in suitable localities in ..."
4. The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (Great Britain), George Long (1843)
"... is the Pic-rerd of M. Button and others, picus viridis ; and that the little Pipra is the Pic varié or ..."